Tuesday, March 23, 2021

 Value

 A Malaysian business man has just paid $2.9m for the first ever tweet ; which said "just setting up my twttr,”.  It was auctioned off by Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s founder ( for charity ) and paid using  'the ether cryptocurrency', whatever that is !  Such a payment  is incomprehensible, what would I pay , well nothing!  What does it say about current values; are they that ephemeral .

It did, however, get me thinking about what I value . Covid , strangely , has assisted that process; in triggering my blogging ( I actually have to think before writing, and would never 'twit'),  and giving time back for understanding and appreciation.

Never before has a vaccine had such a psychological impact , let alone a potential life saver. A cloud lifted as the needle entered ,and it disclosed a brighter horizon . One without fear of rapid morbidity , and perpetual worry for family, friends… and well everyone. Due to various quirks of location, all the family has now been vaccinated , protected in countries with rudimentary health services. Those  clouds have truly blown away; an inestimable value.

So for the last year we have avoided hospitals , voluntarily and by exigence. So have all our family and friends . Never before has good health been of such value. But we have missed physically meeting and interacting , even just touching . The internet has helped , but cannot replace lack of contact. A covid reduced world will be a wondrous  existence .

Finally , we live in a country and society where I can actually write and publish this without the fear of an authoritarian state hauling me off for re-education . I can call our leader ‘ a moron ‘ ( which I do frequently ) without  imminent retribution (which I could expect in Poland ! ). For me, something I truly value .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Concentration

😎 “ No man is really defeated unless he is discouraged “ ( Bruce Lee ) . This morning I am stepping out with confidence ; the weather is co...